For this week’s post I thought I would briefly discuss a couple of topics that will be covered at this year’s Winter Retreat. Most of you (the people reading this blog) are probably aware of the Shin Ho Kwan Creed.
- I resolve to cherish all life.
- I resolve to tell the truth.
- I resolve to respect my parents, teachers and elders.
- I resolve not to speak of the faults of others, but to be understanding and sympathetic.
- I resolve to overcome my shortcomings and not to praise myself or disparage others.
- I resolve to practice tolerance and not to indulge in anger.
- I resolve not to take what is not given, but to respect the things of others.
- I resolve not to cause others to abuse alcohol or drugs, nor do so myself, but to keep my mind clear.
- I resolve to remain in harmony with all the members of my family.
- I resolve to always finish what I start.
This creed is an indication as to the type of person a Shin Ho Kwan practitioner will turn into after years of practice. It isn’t a set of rules that will be enforced at all costs. However, a student should strive to live by the creed and, in accordance with Shin Ho Kwan’s Doctrine of Behavior, take responsibility for their behavior relative to it by individually enforcing his own obligations through self-reprimands.
During the retreat we will be spending some time reading over and discussing the Principles and Creed of Shin Ho Kwan, as well as the Guidelines of Physical and Mental Development. In addition to these topics, we will be covering something that has only been briefly alluded to in the past: The Eight Defilements of Shin Ho Kwan. Whereas the Creed is a list of qualities that we are striving toward, the Defilements are qualities we are trying to move away from. As a student begins their journey of Ten Thousand Miles within Shin Ho Kwan they will inevitably exhibit all eight Defilements. However, as they progress though the years, the Defilements will start to subside and the creed will start to manifest itself within them.
How many of these Defilements do you exhibit on a regular basis?
The Eight Defilements of Shin Ho Kwan
Something to think about….